Happy Earth Day! Want to join in the celebration and show the ‘big blue planet’ a little love? It’s easy! Here are a few simple changes you can make at home that will have a big impact on the environment (and your wallet):
- Replace your 5 most commonly used lights with Energy Star bulbs to cut your energy usage by 75 percent and save $75 a year on electricity bills. To bump that up to $200 a year, replace all of your lights (about 40) with Energy Star bulbs.
- Instead of leaving your computer in sleep mode, turn it off and save 40 watt-hours per day and $14 a year. Don’t want to wait for your computer to boot up? Set your computer to automatically turn on at a certain time (i.e. just in time for when you arrive at work).
- Save yourself some time by not rinsing your dishes before putting them in the dishwasher. Cutting out this simple step could save up to 20 gallons of water per each cycle you run. And don’t fret … today’s dishwashers are powerful enough to get the food off on their own.
- If you can’t live without watering your lawn, only do it in the early morning or late hours, when the water is less likely to evaporate from the sun.
- Preserve precious rainwater to use for gardening, cleaning or other purposes by installing a rain barrel diverter on the end of your downspout.
- During colder months, turn the thermostat down 10 to 15 degrees for eight hours each day and save 5 to 15 percent per year on your heating bill.
- Dramatically improve the thermal performance of your home by installing energy efficient windows and siding. Energy Vault Technology® windows feature a special insulated glass unit that’s nearly 10 times more energy efficient than a single pane, while Energy Vault Technology® siding features almost an inch-and-a-half of insulation — four times more than traditional siding!
- Maintain a healthy, well-ventilated home without using any additional energy by installing a solar powered attic fan. It will not only reduce excess moisture in your home and help prevent the growth of mold, but it will also help maintain a more comfortable temperature.